Friday, May 7, 2010

Arenal

Hello once again! I’m sorry that it’s been so long since I’ve updated the blog. Never fear; I have been using the time to complete big projects for Westmont and plan units for my students. I’m hoping to follow this entry with a longer one, but just to tide everyone over, here are some photos from a trip I took two weeks ago to Arenal. It was a great trip! Although it is the rainy season, we get several good looks at the (still active) volcano. One of the coolest moments was hiking through the jungle, looking at the volcano, and being in the middle of a huge thunder and lightening storm. I feel like I should make some metaphor here about battling elemental forces, but as I can picture most of you rolling your eyes at this point, I will refrain at this time from doing so. Another great story is the saga of the lost key, but this story loses some of its humor and vitality from just being written on the page. Ask me about it when I get home though, and I will be happily to tell it!

Toucans! We did a long hike through the jungle, but the only exciting wildlife we saw were a few toucans. Still, they’re kind of cool to see in “the wild.”

I took this photo (to the left) especially for Dad. Our guide pointed this tree out to us: a naturally-growing jungle bonsai. I did kind of want to correct him and say that anything can be turned into a bonsai, but for the sake of politeness, decided to keep that comment to myself.

Another exciting adventure from the trip was our hike to Arenal Waterfall, otherwise known as Catarata de Arenal. As a side note, I think “catarata” has become one of my favorite words in Spanish. You say it with very pronounced “t’s,” which just makes it fun to say and listen to. Our guidebook merely said that it was a nice three mile hike, easily done on foot. What the book didn’t mention was the three almost vertical hills that were part of the hike. Also the fact that the humidity was probably at about eighty percent, that there would be absolutely no shade at all, and that we should factor in our high altitude. I will be honest: I was hurting by the end of our trek. However, the waterfall itself turned out to be worth the pain of getting there. We hiked down a million steps to where there were several pools and spent much of the afternoon swimming in the river. How many times in your life do you get the chance to swim in a relatively warm river in the middle of the rainforest?

4 comments:

  1. Hooray! A new post! I'm glad you toughed it out and made it all the way to the Arenal waterfall. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! You see, you have bonsai in your blood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a nice shot of the toucan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking at your list of goals, and it looks like you have accomplished everything you set out to do in Costa Rica. Time to make a new list!

    ReplyDelete