I'm not sure what the security guards thought of me as I trundled up to the gate with my classroom luggage, but it all started here. Of the four suitcases I brought, two were taken up with fun teaching things that I thought would help me get a leg up in the world.Note the bare, stark look of things.
Now note the happy and welcoming atmosphere
that says, "hello small children and parents; this is a nice place and the room of caring, creative, and competent teacher."
I have to admit that I was almost ridiculously proud to see my name on the door.
And of course, a first day of school picture.
As I mentioned, I have 23 students in my class. Of the 23, I have four native English speakers who are officially classified as SSL (Spanish as a Second Language). One of these students started school a week after everyone else, so we've had fun doing some catch up there. The other students are a mix of four ADD students, one barely English proficient student, and a miscellaneous mix of huggy, affectionate children.
So far, the parents are almost as nice as their children. Parents Night was a little scary, but by putting in what felt like a million extra hours, I had a lovely, presentable classroom and an attractive powerpoint to show them. Since many of the parents speak less English than their children, I'm not sure how much actually got through of my well-spoken presentation, but oh well. Let's hope that the parents still like me by the time I have to brave Parent/teacher Conferences!



Congrats! Everything looks great. Extra puntos for this witty post.
ReplyDeleteOh, Miranda, You're such a teacher!! Your class room looks great, but I want to see a photo of it six months from now. If it still looks this neat, then you're not doing something right!
ReplyDeleteA Proud Papa
You are really off and running, and your classroom looks great. Nice job of color-coordinating your first-day-of-school outfit with the mums on your desk!
ReplyDeleteOh so official-looking Miranda!
ReplyDeleteI like seeing your name on the door too :)
Miss you.