Vocabulary phrase of the week:
Pura Vida: literally, it means “pure life.” However, it’s similar to the Australian’s phrase, “no worries.” Saying “pura vida” is appropriate in contexts where you wish to convey sentiments similar to: 1). No problem, don’t worry about it 2). totally awesome and completely cool! 3). well, that’s
In terms of adventures, last weekend was an especially good one! The Westmont group joined with two other
On Saturday, all of us participated in a charity run/walk for an international school in Santa Elena. It might be interesting at this point to stop here and take a vote to see who thinks I did the run and who thinks I did the walk.
However, that takes up more space and time than any of us can spare for a blog like this.
I’ll be honest: I walked. There is no way I’m a distance runner, especially at that altitude. The walk was lovely. It was fun to see some of the back streets and scruffy forest in the area. I’m especially glad I made the choice I did when I came to this hill. This picture does not do the hill justice. Picture a completely vertical line. Slant it about ten degrees. That is the incline of this hill. It was a killer, even for the walkers!
On Saturday night, three of us signed up for a night hike, which was one of the coolest things I’ve done so far on this trip. Not only did we see four sloths (one of which had a baby!), but we also saw lots of bugs, several birds, a tiny tree frog, two tarantulas that were bigger than my hand, and a poisonous snake in the tree above our heads (it was pretty windy, which didn’t make the situation any more comfortable. One kept imagining the possibilities of falling snakes…). To be honest, seeing all of these animals made me wonder how many were out there, close by us, that we didn’t see.
On Sunday, most of us got up at some unreasonably early hour and took a bus to Monteverde itself so we could be there when the park opened at 7:00. We were pretty much the only people the in the park and we hiked up some great trails. Of course, they call this the cloud forest because the mountains are literally in the clouds. Our goal was to hike the continental divide, and we did. We even saw the sign to prove it. However, our visibility was all of about ten feet. I’m sure the view was lovely; we just couldn’t see any of it. The hike, though, was worth it. We heard a howler monkey at what we thought was fairly close range, and got to spend
the entire morning wandering around in the thick jungle. If you’re ever in
That spider looks mean! Almost as mean as you do in the photo above the spider! I wouldn't mess with either one of you.
ReplyDeleteThat's my "I'm not feeling to happy about this" look. Who makes roads like this?!?
ReplyDeleteYou're just breezing right through your goals and you've only been there for about a month! I'm very impressed :) Your pictures are beautiful and I can hardly wait to be there!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I totally voted that you walked ;)